- a great way to improve your navigation skills
- experience orienteering without needing to attend an event
- make a walk more interesting
- for anyone to use at anytime
- an excellent resource for teachers and leaders wanting to introduce or develop orienteering with their groups
- provide selection of courses from easy courses for beginners to more technical ones for improving and experienced orienteers.
- use permanent posts with combinations of numbers and letters to check you are at the right place
A list and map of HALO permanent orienteering courses can be found here.
A list of permanent courses throughout the country is maintained by British Orienteering and that page has useful information and a video.
HALO can provide accredited orienteering coaches and qualified teachers to assist schools and groups using permanent courses.
General queries and to report any problems about these courses
HALO Coaching Officer Brian Slater ....., .
More information about courses maintained by Halo linked to map of locations:Normanby Hall Country Park nr Scunthorpe
Terrain: open parkland and woodland
Map packs available from: Onsite gift shop Tel: 01724 720588 or from D. Smith Tel: 01427 872762
Humber Bridge Country Park nr Hull
Map packs and details can be found at http://www.graydk.karoo.net/Orienteering Course.htm
Sewerby Park nr Bridlington
Burton Constable Country Park nr Beverley
Weelsby Woods, Grimsby - Renewed for February 2013.
please contact Brian Slater bslatercleeyahoo.com for further information
Willingham Woods, Market Rasen has been renovated (Opened 2nd April 2014) Further courses have been developed.
Map packs are available from the Kiosk at Willingham Woods car park which is open most days. Each pack contains 4 maps plus instructions, control cards and descriptions. £2.50 per hardcopy pack.
An electronic version of the pack may be dowloaded here (2.8MB) or by emailing Brian Slater - bslatercleeyahoo.com. NOTE: Groups wanting to use the area must contact the Forestry Office before proceding with any activity.
Brumby Hall Sports Club, Ashby Road, Scunthorpe Map packs (£2) can be purchased at the office.
Tel. 01724 402053 email miranda.browntatasteel.com