- a great way to improve your navigation skills
- experience orienteering without needing to attend an event
- make a walk more interesting
- for anyone to use at anytime
- an excellent resource for teachers and leaders wanting to introduce or develop orienteering with their groups
- provide selection of courses from easy courses for beginners to more technical ones for improving and experienced orienteers.
- use permanent posts with combinations of numbers and letters to check you are at the right place.
A list of permanent courses throughout the country is maintained by British Orienteering and that page has useful information and a video; this list includes HALOs.
More information about courses maintained by HALO
For East Park, West Park, Pickering Park and Costello Park (all in Hull), Humber Bridge Country Park (Hessle), Weelsby Woods (Grimsby), Primrose Hill ( nr Scunthorpe, conditions apply)- maps are available (free) at British Orienteering. Locations of the courses and further details can be found there too.
For Normanby Hall Country Park (nr Scunthorpe), Willingham Woods (Market Rasen), Weelsby Woods (Grimsby), Brumby Hall Sports Club (Ashby Road, Scunthorpe) - contact Brian Slater at bslatercleeyahoo.com.